What is KiwiBuild?
KiwiBuild is a Government sponsored programme which plans to build 100,000 affordable homes for first home buyers in the 10 years.
It has been introduced as a response to evidence in certain areas of New Zealand that buyers are being locked out of the market due to high housing costs.
Where are KiwiBuild homes to be built?
At least 50,000 KiwiBuild homes will be built in Auckland, to help meet the growing demand for housing stock in our biggest city.
Outside of Auckland, the focus will be on areas with high housing demand and affordability pressures such as Wellington, Hamilton, Napier-Hastings, Queenstown-Lakes District, Tauranga, Whangarei District, and Nelson-Tasman.
Am I eligible for KiwiBuild?
Eligibility criteria will ensure that these homes go to the people they are intended for, and you must:
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident or a resident visa holder
- Be a first home buyer or in a similar financial position as a first home buyer (i.e. you must no longer own a home, due to varying circumstances, and meet the asset test that applies to the KiwiSaver HomeStart grant)
- Intend to live in the home as your principal place of residence
- Intend to live in the home for a minimum of three years
- Have an annual household income of no more than $120,000 as a single purchaser, and no more than $180,000 there are two or more purchasers.
How much will KiwiBuild homes cost?
These are the following price-caps based on location :
How do I apply?
If you meet these criteria you can register your interest for KiwiBuild on the Ministry of Business Innovation & Employment website: Click here
Demand is high for KiwiBuild homes, so a ballot scheme has been devised to provide fairness to all registered applicants.
What do I need to support my application?
You will need to supply:
- Proof of finance (i.e. an approved mortgage application)
- A signed Statutory Declaration that you will abide by the KiwiBuild rules (e.g. not sell the property within three years)
- Proof of income from the Inland Revenue
- A copy of your passport or proof of citizenship/residency
The KiwiBuild Process
- Register your interest at kiwibuild.govt.nz
- KiwiBuild will send you more information and let you know of homes coming to the market
- Select the location and development you are interested in
- Enter the ballot for the home you want
- Ensure you have a deposit available of between 10-20% of the cost of the home
- Make an appointment with Global Finance in order to get a loan application underway
- Our advisers will shop around for the best deal for you
- We will let you know when you have conditional pre-approved of your home loan
- KiwiBuild will let you know if your ballot was successful
- Complete the Sale & Purchase agreement with you KiwiBuild partner
- Move into your new home and enjoy!
What level of the deposit will I need?
At this stage mortgage providers are saying their usual individual standard lending criteria will apply for buyers while KiwiBuild is working with banks about the lending environment for purchasers. Ultimately though, there will be a private arrangement between the lender and yourself subject to the lender’s criteria. In general, you should look to have a 10-20% deposit based on the cost of the property.
Can Global Finance help me?
If you meet the eligibility criteria for KiwiBuild come and have a conversation with us and we can get your loan application underway. We will shop around on your behalf for the best deal and will structure your mortgage that saves you money and allows you to pay it off faster than a standard bank term. We will also look at personal risk insurance options that will protect your ability to continue paying your mortgage and look after your partner and/or family, in the case of unforeseen events.
You can make an appointment at the bottom of this page or by Calling us on 09 255 5500
We look forward to helping you with your KiwiBuild journey!